COP27: AEEP to Host Event on Financing SDG7 in Africa
On the 9th of November (8:30 – 9:30 GMT+2) the Africa-EU Energy Partnership (AEEP) will host the event “Financing SDG7 in Africa – on track towards a just energy transition?” on the main stage in the SDG Pavilion during the 2022 UN Conference on Climate Change (COP27) in Sharm el-Sheikh, Egypt.
The AEEP panel will discuss the most pressing issues on financing SDG7 in Africa, building on the findings of the AEEP’s European Financial Flows on SDG7 to Africa report. Panelists will reflect on the potential to pursue SDG7 through a mix of on-grid and distributed energy solutions. The event will also highlight the progress that is being made on-grid with the Continental Master Plan, the Africa Single Electricity Market, the Programme for Infrastructure Development in Africa, and the AU’s adoption of the Just Energy Transition and its pathways.
The one-hour panel discussion will be moderated by Mr. Crispen Zana, principal energy advisor at AUDA-NEPAD, and brings together representatives from the following institutions:
– H.E. Mr Raila Odinga, AUC special advisor on infrastructure, will elaborate the policy position in Africa;
– Mr. Johan van den Berg, Head of Secretariat, AEEP, will discuss balancing energy access with just energy transition;
– Mr Papa Samba Ba, Director and Focal Point for Energy Transition, Senegal, will discuss the Member State perspective from the country chairing the AU;
– Ibrah Wahabou, Head of Infrastructure and Connectivity Unit, AUDA-NEPAD will elucidate pan-African work being done to create an interconnected electricity system with high penetration of RE (CMP, AfSEM) and in distributed energy access;
– Dr. Ignacio Perez-Arriaga, Director of the African School of Regulation, will highlight the progress made to create capacity for areas where more work needs to be done to create a clear pathway to simultaneously achieving SDG7 and a Just Energy Transition, touching on the role of gas in African development.
About the SDG Pavilion
The SDG Pavilion at the United Nations Climate Change Conference (COP27) in Sharm el-Sheikh, Egypt, aims to bring together experts and policymakers leading the implementation of climate action and the Sustainable Development Goals around the world for a series of discussions on how to accelerate action across both the 2030 Agenda and the Paris Agreement. The Pavilion will provide a platform for practitioners and experts across all sectors and levels to share experiences and ideas on how to develop policies and programmes that serve to implement the Sustainable Development Goals.
Read more about the European Financial Flows on SDG7 to Africa report: